Omega 3 fatty acids are essential fatsThis means that the body cannot produce them and it is necessary to incorporate them through food.
We tell you why they are so important omega 3 fatty acids for children and pregnant women and in what foods you find them.
The Omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in health, since they act in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, they have anti-inflammatory properties and intervene in the clotting and blood pressure, avoiding the very common hypertension during pregnancy (pre-eclampsia). Prevents premature labor and improve insulin sensitivity, ideal for pregnant women with gestational diabetes.
It also favors the proper brain development of the child, improves their learning ability and can even intervene in the child's visual acuity (according to some inconclusive studies).
1. Fatty Fish:
- Tuna: you can choose between red or pale yellow tuna, the latter contains less fat. Bluefin tuna is the most consumed, it is rich in omega 3, vitamins A, C and E, selenium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium, it also contains leucine, an amino acid that is involved in muscle mass.
- Salmon: Consuming salmon is vital to activate the brain and prevent depression (postpartum depression), it is a fish rich in vitamin B12, iodine, selenium, phosphorus, good quality proteins and omega 3.
- Mackerel: Apart from its contribution in omega 3, it is one of the fish that concentrates less toxic waste, it also contains good quality proteins, B vitamins, especially vitamin B12.
- Sardine: This fatty fish is characterized by its high calcium content if consumed whole, that is, with the bone structure, in addition to providing good quality proteins and omega 3, we can also highlight that the sardine is not a predator, therefore it does not contain mercury.
- Herring: another fish that stands out for the contribution of omega 3, good quality proteins, selenium an antioxidant, and vitamin B12 that helps prevent fundamental anemia during pregnancy and in children.
- Walnuts: walnut fruit, offers a concentrate of excellent ingredients, omega 3 (anti-inflammatory, improve insulin sensitivity) proteins, antioxidants, manganese (antiallergic, anti-infective), copper (strengthens the immune system), potassium, phosphorus, iron and calcium.
- Flax seeds: These seeds contain a high content of omega 3, as well as mucilage, a type of soluble fiber that helps improve constipation during pregnancy.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds help to treat gestational diabetes during pregnancy due to its high content of mucilage (soluble fiber), as well as to improve constipation and acidity during pregnancy, it also provides essential omega 3 fatty acids.
- Hemp seeds: These seeds are sweet like almonds and easily digested, due to their iron content it is important to incorporate them during pregnancy and in children, as well as containing omega 3, fibers, and essential amino acids.
- Flax oil: Flax oil, unlike seeds, does not contain phytoestrogens or fiber, but instead they provide a lot of omega 3, it is important to consume it cold, it never gets hot and once opened it should be consumed after 2 weeks and kept in the refrigerator.
- Nut oil: It has a mild and pleasant flavor typical of walnut, rich in vitamin E and omega 3 fatty acids, the ideal is to use it raw and not subject this oil to high temperatures so that the nutritional properties are not lost.
- Soy oil: It is better to consume it raw and not fried because this way the omega 3s are better preserved and also because when heated it acquires a slightly unpleasant smell. This oil contains vitamins A, D, E and essential lecithin for the functioning of the brain and nervous system.
You can read more articles similar to The 12 foods with the most omega 3 for children and pregnant women, in the Diets category - menus on site.